Pinterest

09 February 2014

The Banana


After reading this, you’ll never look at a banana in the same way again

 
This is interesting. 


Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.
Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes.
But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
DEPRESSION
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
PMS
Forget the pills – eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
ANEMIA
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
BLOOD PRESSURE
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit’s ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
BRAIN POWER
200 students at a Twickenham school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
CONSTIPATION
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
HANGOVERS
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
HEARTBURN
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
MORNING SICKNESS
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
MOSQUITO BITES
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
NERVES
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system..
Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
ULCERS
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chroniclercases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
TEMPERATURE CONTROL
Many other cultures see bananas as a ‘cooling’ fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.


So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, ‘A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!’


Source: http://www.karenstan.net/

No comments:

Little B

Little B
Little B holding bridesmaid's bouquet, Busia's front porch

Believing

No one sees the stars during the day, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
we don't remember days
we remember moments

1925

1925
My historical home ♥

Autumn

Autumn

Winter

Winter

Spring

Spring

Summer

Summer

The Outbuilding

The Outbuilding

Sophie

Sophie

Sophie

Sophie
My very special companion. We found each other in August of 2006. It was one of those things when you truly know you found the right dog for you and that the dog felt the same way about you. And that was the beginning. I love coming home to my Sophie. She is still so much puppy, but I know how quickly the time goes by when the years aren't kind to dogs, so being a puppy for as long as possible is fine with me. She is loving and oh so affectionate. A true cuddler.

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob
Here is my tailless cat. His best friend is Sophie. Watching both of them is so much fun. I hadn't expected to get another cat at the time I was at Petco looking at the fish. Then I heard that there was a pet adoption going on. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love cats. So of course I had to wander over. I looked at the adoptees and my eyes fell on Bob. I asked to hold him and that was all it took. He loved being held and of course he was acting as charming as possible. I said "Wrap him up." Off we went to the car and headed home. Bob doesn't so much like to be held like he did that first day. But that is ok. He is my little buddy. He is very happy living with me and Sophie, but not so much Chloe. He pretty much keeps out of Chloe's way and when he forgets, she reminds him. Trust me, she does. :-)~

Chloe

Chloe
This is my darling little kitty that has been with me for a very long time. She loves only me. Unfortunately her mom cat did not take her prenatal vitamins and Chloe suffered because of it. She has been blind for a very long time. The amazing thing is it is hard to notice it. She gets around wonderfully. Sometimes I get sad when I think about it because she can't see how I love her. But she feels it. She knows I love her and accept her for who she is - even when she is a little grumpy (don't we all have those kinds of days I ask?). God blesses our animals and sends them to us to make life just that much better. On 9.16.09 - Chloe left our little family to return "home". I miss her very much, but am comforted because I know she is with Daisy, Dumplin and Andrew - and can once again see as she roams in God's Home. This little cat will always be in my heart. Hugs and kisses to you, My Dear Little Chloe. I am so thankful for our time together. xoxo

Gibby

Gibby

Gibbs

Gibbs
Gibbs is one of the most affectionate cats I have ever had (and there have been many). He joined my family in June 2015. He, like Bob, is a Manx, which for both of them, do not have tails. Gibbs loves to cuddle and is pretty much my little shadow. He was pretty low key the first year, but has evolved into a very active kitty. He explores constantly. I am so thankful we found each other. I love him to pieces.